Lake Wanaka is a little town nestled within a ring of mountains. Think clear water, romantic hikes, sailboats and adorable shops.
Not only would I say Lake Wanaka is one of the most romantic towns I’ve ever been to, but it’s located in one of my favorite countries, New Zealand.
I love New Zealand for it’s diverse environment. In a span of a day’s drive you can go from jagged mountain peaks and glaciers to fjords and rainforests. If you have ever seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies then you know how specatcular the sights are.
Where to Stay
- Wanaka Bakpaka offers a cheap place to stay, but it’s got a great location by the lake
- Mount Maude for something rustic, yet a little more upscale
- Te Wanaka Lodge– a popular ski lodge
What to Eat
- We ate at a tiny Italian restaurant called Toscanas. It overlooked the town and lake. Make sure you call for reservations because they have only a few tables and they book fast. But the sunset is stunning.
What to Do
- Great shopping strolling around the downtown. And you must check out the homemade ice cream at Cinema Paradiso- yum!
- Hiking in the Mt. Aspiring National Park- incredible wilderness and hundreds of trails
- Kayaking on the lake
- Stuart Landborough’s Puzzling World has the neatest illusions and holograms.
- National Transport and Toy Museum
- Rippon Vineyard and Wanaka Beerworks
My visit to NZ was clouded by bad weather, pun intended. I wish I had known about some of the sites you have talked about here. Maybe someday I will head back…
This sounds so amazing, Christy! Maybe you need to write a book set in this location!
I’m so jealous. I would love to visit New Zealand one day. I’ve never been farther than Canada!
New Zealand is amazing, I’ve never been to Wanaka Lake though. I’ll have to give it a visit when I go back.
Michael- I have heard that the weather can be tricky and you really do want good weather. Especially if you are at Milford Sound. Like you I also want to head back and do some bungee jumping and more rigorous climbing when my boys get older.
Bonnee- Yes! NZ is amazing. I thought Lake Wanaka was so quaint and adorable.
You took me there with this post, but I really want to go there. It looks like an amazing destination.
Oh you lucky duck! It looks absolutely beautiful!
I’m so glad! Sometimes I like to open travel magazines and just get inspired by new settings.