If I see a journal I really like, I’ll buy it, saving it for my next project. The other day I spotted these bigger journals in Barnes and Noble and was tempted. But I do love having a smaller one that I can squeeze into my purse or computer bag.
My journal for GILDED
So what do I fill my journal with?
- Photos- if I see a photo that reminds me of a setting, I cut it out and glue it inside
- Character sketches and venn diagrams (yeah, that’s the teacher part in me)
- Listing of important names and their meanings
- Phrases that I think of and want to put into the book
- Thoughts or questions that I need answers for
- List of people and their contact information who I can go to for information
- Ideas and brainstorming
- Using it to jump start ideas or to discuss with myself issues I’m having with the story: “remember to go back and work on the dialogue for him.” Or “check authenticity of the horn bow” or “I wonder what would happen if I decided to kill him. Would that up the tension or let things fizzle out?”
I also found that journal handy when I’m doing a revision or prepping to write a sequel. I can easily pull it out and use it to jump start another story.
How about you? Do you keep a journal? How do you use it?