It’s hard. I’m tired.
Overcaffeinated. Dying for a good, hard run.
But right now I’m so into my character’s heads that I don’t want to leave them. Have you ever felt that connection? And then the fear that if you put them aside, you’ll lose that grasp of who they are and what makes them tick?
So I’ve been doing a lot of research on what makes characters tick. Come to life.
Here are some things that I’ve found in my hunt:
1. Larger-Than-Life Character Qualities- Donald Maass- Get your characters doing something memorable. Something that they would never do.
2. “Without good characters, it’s hard to care about the story”- Suzie Townsend
3. Great interview questions to ask your character- Suzette Saxton
4. Make your characters quirky- Elana Johnson
5. Use dialogue to enrich your characters- Margot Finke
6. Get to know your characters better by doing these exercises at StoryBug.
Aren’t these fabulous? Any suggestions you have to add?
Winner! Agent’s Perspective on Trends