Bruce Hale kicked off the SCBWI Miami conference and boy did he kick it off. Wow. Bruce is AMAZING! And not only is he a good speaker, he can write, sing and even dance. Oh, and he wears really cool hats too.
He read his book, Snoring Beauty to us (so funny! I loved it so much that I read it to my students who in turned laughed hysterically). He also concluded his talk with a song and got a standing ovation at the end. Truly inspirational!
As he was speaking, I jotted down some notes that I wanted to share with you. So if you’re feeling down or need some great advice, listen to Bruce Hale. He really knows what he’s talking about.
1. Start a Good Habit
• We are nothing more than the sum of our habits
• Too often do you do your habits- email, social networking, blog, tweet, TV, socialize on the phone
• Recommends changing 2 habits at a time
2. Write Like Your Hair is On Fire
• Write stories you are passionate about
3. Think it Through, Take the Big View
• Strategic thinking through the story
4. Teamwork makes the Dreamwork
5. Face the Iron Tiger
• Do you have something you are afraid to face?
• FACE- IT!
6. Beat Resistance with Persistence
• Most people give up just before they meet success
• If you pushed a little harder, would you get the results you wanted?
• Persistence beats talent any day
7. Deal with Rejection
• Don’t take it personally
• Give yourself permission to eat Haagen Dazs